What is an externship?
An externship is different from an internship. An externship is a shadowing experience, not a job. However, externships can lead to internships.
Students do not receive academic credit or pay for externships.
Students are responsible for their own expenses and for arranging their own housing and transportation.
Externships allow you to:
- Explore a career field and a typical week on the job
- Experience the workplace up close and personal and see what work is really like while previewing a company and job
- Learn how to apply your academic major through discussions with professionals who have a similar background
- Assess your "fit" for a particular position or organization
- Make career connections and strengthen your network
- Add value to your resume
What are some activities involved in an externship?
Externship experiences vary. Some students spend the entire experience in one department, while others divide their time among different departments to get a broad overview. Some examples of what a student might do as an extern include:
- Observing and networking, and talking with professionals
- Taking a tour of the company’s facilities
- Conducting informational interviews
- Sitting in on staff meetings
- Reviewing company literature
Who is eligible to apply?
- Any Eller student, including pre-business
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.75
- Student must be in the location of the externship during winter break, or be able to get to that location at the student's own expense
- Interested in living and working in location of externship
International Students (F-1 visa) accepted for an externship are required to visit with the International Student Services (“ISS”) offices to review the externship description and to sign a form saying that the externship is not employment and you will not be doing any work during your visit. Final approval of the externship is conditional upon the ISS being satisfied that the externship is not employment.
How do I apply for an externship?
- Externships are posted in eSMS:
1. Go to the Job Board on your eSMS and select "Externship" from the drop-down menu.
2. See the complete list of externships and select "Apply" for the one that interests you.
3. Learn more about the externship, the types of majors the company is seeking, and complete the application process by uploading your resume and any other required documents. Select "Apply" to complete the process!
If applying for multiple externships (3 maximum), please complete a separate application for each externship and specify your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices in this letter.
There is no guarantee on placement but we will do our best to match each student who applies based on interest and past experiences. Applying for multiple externships will improve your chances of being selected for an externship.
Deadline to apply is 5:00 pm on Tuesday, November 29th.
What do I do if selected for an externship?
- Students will find out if they are selected for an externship by Thursday, December 1 via email
- Selected students are required to attend a short training session with a Career Coach (Dates: December 5, December 6, and December 8)
- Students will be given the contact information for your externship host at the training session.
- Students will contact the host in advance of the externship to plan the details of your visit including:
- Date and time of the externship
- The schedule for the day
- Dress Code (professional, business casual, special requirements)
- What to bring
- Any other information you would like to know or would like the host to know
Make sure to bring money for lunch and parking as there can be costs associated with your visit and the host is not expected to pay for your expenses.
How do I prepare for an externship?
- Research the organization and the person before your externship
- Prepare questions to ask during your visit and bring something to take notes
- Remember this is not a job interview; use this time to ask questions, learn and observe
- Follow up with a thank you note
For more information, please contact us.